- Ice control / sanding / snow removal
- Asphalt patching, seal coating, shoulder repairs to curb and non-curb areas, repair of potholes, grading of streets, guard rail repair, street painting / striping
- Street sweeping / mowing
- Tree trimming and removal
- Water main break repairs
- Culvert cleaning and ditch work
- Maintain traffic lights, storm sewers, 11 storm ponds, road and street signs, compost area
Pushing and blowing snow from driveways and sidewalks onto or across public roads is prohibited by Minnesota State Statute and anyone guilty of this act may be punished with a misdemeanor. Snow that is deposited or left on roadways creates a large hazard to passing motorists and can cause serious accidents.
Load Limit Restrictions
The purpose of load limit restrictions is to protect City streets by limiting the weight of vehicles using the streets. The load limits are 3 tons per axel and are in effect on most local streets for approximately eight weeks in the Spring.
Snowmobiles & ATV's
Snowmobiles and All Terrain Vehicles (City Permit Required) may be operated within the City only during the following times:
- 7:00 a.m. through 10:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday
- 7:00 a.m. through 12:00 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays
- Upon private property without written permission of the owner or persons entitled to possession and use of the property;
- Upon any school grounds, park property, playgrounds, or recreation areas, except as and at such times as the proper authorities may authorize or designate;
- Upon any street or alley except that portion ordinarily used for vehicular traffic;
- Upon any public sidewalks or walkway.
Snow removal is a high priority for Newport Public Works during the months of October through April. To ensure the safest of streets and trails for residents, snow removal begins once there is two inches of accumulated snow in the City. During this time, all vehicles must be removed from City streets so that the maintenance workers can provide the best quality service. Vehicles left on city streets during a snow emergency may be towed. Please also be sure to keep children away from City vehicles to ensure their safety.
Street sweeping begins approximately mid-April and mid-October and lasts about a week. During this time, please watch for sweepers while driving and keep plenty of distance between yourself and them. Please also do not rake or blow any sand, grass, leaves, or other debris into the streets.
Winter Parking Ban
In order to provide the most efficient and safest snow removal operation, the Newport City Council has implemented a Winter Parking Ban. The ban goes into effect beginning November 1st, and remains in effect until April 1st. This ban prohibits parking on either side of any street between the hours of 2:00 a.m. until 7:00 a.m. and during a declared snow emergency or when more than 2 inches of snow on the streets.