The City of Newport invites you and your company to look at the City as the new home for your development, whether residential, commercial, or industrial. From a regional perspective, Newport enjoys a convenient location in the thriving east metro area and is served by a number of transportation modes, which includes I494, Highway 61, the Canadian Pacific Rail Line and the River. The recent improvements to Highway 61, I494 and the Wakota Bridge have brought the City to the forefront and created numerous development/redevelopment opportunities.
Newport is conveniently located just 15 minutes southeast from Minneapolis and St. Paul along the Mississippi River and offers a great advantage for businesses as it is located at the intersection of I494 and Highway 61. There are several properties within Newport that have great visibility from one or both of these roadways. Its proximity also makes it close to the Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport and St. Paul Downtown Airport, as well as the Mall of America.
Click on the links below for more information on businesses and development opportunities in the City.
- Economic Development Opportunities - Click here to view development opportunities within the City of Newport. For more information on a property, please contact City Hall at (651) 459-5677.
- Business Directory - Click here to view businesses located within the City of Newport.
- Red Rock Crossing Area - The City is looking to redevelop the Red Rock Crossing area. The Newport Transit Station, located along Maxwell Avenue across from Newport-St. Paul Cold Storage, is now open. The station offers express bus service between Newport and downtown St. Paul and features an indoor waiting area and large parking lot. Click here to view a brochure on the Red Rock Crossing Area.
- Minnesota Works - The Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development administers MinnesotaWorks.net, which lists job ads online. Currently, there are over 43,000 jobs listed on the site.
- Greater MSP
- Offers site
location assistance and other mission-critical business development services to
companies planning new or expanded facilities in the Greater MSP region.
- Business Assistance Tools - In an effort to assist and promote new
business start-ups, remodeling projects, refinancing, or just save money by
becoming more energy efficient the City of Newport would like to offer your
business the following resources to help you succeed in Newport!
- Business Assistance Policy - This policy outlines the City's position as it relates to the use of Tax
Increment Financing, Tax Abatement, and other business assistance programs for
- Commercial and Industrial Development Guide
- Residential Development Guide